If I were to guess, less than half of my work is on paper and the rest is in my head. I spend a lot of time thinking and worrying about what I will do for my art pieces (or any other work). I do not usually consciously brainstorm, but I will have my work in my mind as I go through each day. Playing sports has the same effect on me as making art, so many of my ideas come when I am playing sports. I have always enjoyed sports, so there is an area in the basement dedicated as my "sports area." This is where I can hit or throw balls against the walls as hard as I want, and it somehow relieves my tension. When I am angry, I can go hit balls in the sports area, and I will be fine again when I am done. When I find myself frustrated in front of a blank paper, I take a small "sports break" to gather my thoughts. I have a great memory when I want to (and sometimes when I don't), so this is far more effective than writing things down on paper. Because my art is about calmness and focus, my process is way more important to me than my product.
Saturday, February 26, 2011
Artist Statement
My first experience with art was in kindergarten art class, and I have enjoyed it ever since. I do not consider myself a "serious" artist, but art is great hobby for me. It is a way for me to relax myself and let time fly by as I make my work. I am an anxious person, so art is valuable because I let go of my worries for a while. This is great because I find most of my ideas when I am not worried about anything. My favorite thing to do in art is to play with colors. I like to use oil and chalk pastels and blend different colors together to see how it comes out. My experiments seldom end up as final pieces, but is more of a warm up so I can start to feel less self conscious.
Labels:
portfolio,
reflection
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment