Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Changing Still Life

DESCRIBE IN DETAIL at least three things you had to do to accomplish this goal.


Today in class, we did a frustrating and challenging drawing.  The still life we were drawing kept changing, causing us to need to erase and/or edit the already existing items, or even add new ones to the mix.  Although I can only speak for myself, there were a couple of things I had to keep in mind in order to get through this drawing.  First of all, I had to remember that we were not being graded on the final product, and that I had to let go of caring about how it looked.  This helped a lot because, if I was attached to the drawing, I would become quickly frustrated each time the project changed.  Another thing I had to do was stay adaptive and open to change.  I decided to not work myself up about having to erase the whole drawing multiple times because that would be unpleasant.  The last thing I had to do was to keep in mind that no drawing will be perfect the whole way through (in fact, none of them will ever be "perfect."  I could go on and on about the topic of "perfection," so I probably shouldn't get started on it.)  Even if my drawing ends up looking like my desk drawer at home (shudder), it's not as if I'll die or something.  As an anxious person, I have had a lot of practice calming myself down over the years, so this is easier for me than some others.  The calmer I am, the more likely the picture will look good (and not like my refrigerator.  Double shudder).  I have found that the best thing I can do is to make the best out of everything, even if it is not very good (*cough* vegetables *cough*).

No comments:

Post a Comment