Monday, October 4, 2010

Found Images Collage Reflection

Describe how the process of making this piece went for you. What struggles did you encounter? What did you discover?  What aspects of the work do you think are most successful?


The process of making this piece was a different one for me.  I have never done a collage before, so I didn't have a very good idea of what to expect.  I had assumed it was just another one of the drawings we had done previously, just using other people's artwork instead of mine.  However, it was slightly (a lot) different than that.  There were a lot of challenges and struggles along the way (this was a lot less smooth than the previous drawings).  First of all, the literal act of filling a 14*14 square with cut up magazine pictures was a lot harder than it seemed.  There were not a lot of pictures that fit my theme (outer space) in Oprah magazine and Architecture Digest magazine.  Also, the collage appeared choppy, because I was using different images, not just one or two.  One thing I discovered when looking at my classmates' projects was that I liked the ones that were designs more than sceneries.  I also thought it was really cool when they used 15-20 red squares to make a shirt, instead of finding a picture of one.  I will try to do that next time I do a collage.  The parts of my work that I think were successful were that the original idea (outer space with lots of lights and stars) was still part of the final piece.  I also liked that I used small pieces of ground where the geysers were so that it looked like the ground was cracked.  All things considered, this project probably wasn't my favorite thing ever, but I did my best and enjoyed it as much as I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment