Monday, September 13, 2010

Collaborative Drawings

When multiple people worked on the same drawing, it was sort of like working as a team, which can be good or bad. There were so many other ideas that we had access to, and I would have never thought of them on my own.  However, when I got back to my drawing, it became clear that it was not entirely a good thing.  Because we didn't work on the same drawing at the same time, not one idea was dominant.  It was almost as if our drawing was divided into three, and no one was in agreement with which one to run off with, so the end result looked choppy (if that's a word).

When I was asked to edit another person's drawing, I was definitely reluctant at first.  I didn't want to "ruin" someone's work for the past hour.  However, my instructions were to edit the drawing a lot, so I went with it.  I did not like the result as much as I would have hoped, but I knew that there is no such thing as "perfect" or "terrible" in art.  I also knew that one of the points of this exercise was to practice letting others give you their ideas and to work on interpreting other people's work.  Having that in mind and believing that I was giving the original artist more ideas made me feel a lot better about editing my classmate's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment